BOOKS FOR TROOPS (BFT) was started in southern Saratoga County, New York, April 2010 by retired school teacher, Ellen Keegan who wanted to gather books to send to our troops serving in Afghanistan and Iraq, in order to give them a source of escape from the horrors they see each day, to offer release from loneliness, boredom, stress, homesickness, and fear, and to show them that they were not forgotten by those at home that they were sacrificing so much to keep free. They also wanted the books to remind them of home and to give them the message of how grateful and proud we were of them.
BOOKS FOR TROOPS was founded to send "care packages for the mind" for the troops in Afghanistan and Iraq by providing a variety of books that help ease their fears, loneliness, boredom, stress and to allow them a temporary escape from the horrors that they see and live daily. It was also founded to raise awareness of the sacrifices, both big and small, that our troops are making to protect us and to remind them that they are not forgotten.
BOOKS FOR TROOPS’ goal is to not have books be one of the sacrifices that our military men and women incur without while fighting overseas.
1) alleviate boredom that the troops often mention as the biggest enemy of their off-duty time;
2) offer a means of escape from the horrors of a soldier’s daily experiences;
3) bring a sense of home to our soldiers;
4) make available a quiet time to reduce stress and relax;
5) create a time to forget;
6) provide a distraction or something less stressful to think about; and
7) remind our soldiers “you are not forgotten” by the people they are protecting.
8) provide the same for the VA hospitals across the nation where the troops are recovering or rehabbing.
9) help deployed parents connect with their children through children's books
- Donate hard-covered, soft-covered, children's or puzz;e & coloring books at one of our collection sites
- Have a book drive for books,
- Volunteer at our office
- Offer to do a fund raiser for postage
Offer to work on a fund raiser.
Work on setting up or working at fundraisers
Do simplepaperwork at home like writing thank you letters of making out forms
- If you have good computer skills and are familiar with using a website and Facebook, volunteer to help do ours.
Offer to do book mailings.
YOU NEED NOT ALL OR ANY OF THESE SKILLS OR ABILITIES, Just one and a strong desire to help the troops. Hours are very flexible. You need work only a few hours a month. For more information, please contact Ellen at firstname.lastname@example.org
- “Adopt-a-Box-of-Books,” or in other words, pay the postage of $12.50 to mail a box of approximately 40 books. Mail check or money order, payable to Books For Troops, to 152
Contact Ellen for more information at 373-4939 or at email@example.com
(type “Books For Troops” in the subject line).